- We established the SDGs Database which aggregates proposals and current researches about goals and indicators for sustainable development.
Policy Brief, Conference Report, and Working Paper
Project outputs available for download.
- Young, Oran R., Arild Underdal, Norichika Kanie, Steinar Andresen, Steven Bernstein, Frank Biermann, Joyeeta Gupta, Peter M. Haas, Masahiko Iguchi, Marcel Kok, Marc Levy, Måns Nilsson,László Pintér and Casey Stevens,
“Earth System Challenges and A Multi-layered Approach for the Sustainable Development Goals,” POST2015/UNU-IAS Policy Brief #1, Tokyo: United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability, 2014.
- Kitamura, Yuto, Eri Yamazaki, Norichika Kanie, D. Brent Edwards Jr., Binaya Raj Shivakoti, Bijon Kumer Mitra, Naoya Abe, Andante Hadi Pandyaswargo and Casey Stevens, “Linking Education and Water in the Sustainable Development Goals, ”
POST2015/UNU-IAS Policy Brief #2, Tokyo: United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability, 2014.
- Biermann, Frank, Casey Stevens, Steven Bernstein, Aarti Gupta, Ngeta Kabiri, Norichika Kanie, Marc Levy, Måns Nilsson, László Pintér, Michelle Scobie, and Oran R. Young, “Integrating Governance into the Sustainable Development Goals,” POST2015/UNU-IAS Policy Brief #3, Tokyo: United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability, 2014.
- Steven Bernstein, Joyeeta Gupta, Steinar Andresen, Peter M. Haas, Norichika Kanie, Marcel Kok, Marc A. Levy, and Casey Stevens, “Coherent Governance, the UN and the SDGs. POST2015/UNU-IAS Policy Brief #4. Tokyo: United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability,” POST2015/UNU-IAS Policy Brief #4, Tokyo: United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability, 2014.
- Gupta, Joyeeta, Isa Baud, Ralien Bekkers, Steven Bernstein, Ingrid Boas, Vincent Cornelissen, Masahiko Iguchi, Norichika Kanie, Rakhyun E. Kim, Mairon Bastos Lima, Pedi Obani, Petra Schoof, Casey Stevens, and Dylan van Zoomeren, “Sustainable Development Goals and Inclusive Development,” POST2015/UNU-IAS Policy Brief #5, Tokyo: United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability, 2014.
- Iguchi, Masahiko, Tomoki Ehara, Eri Yamazaki, Tomohiro Tasaki, Naoya Abe, Seiji Hashimoto and Taro Yamamoto, “Ending the Double Burden of Malnutrition: Addressing the Food and Health Nexus in the Sustainable Development Goals,” POST2015/UNU-IAS Policy Brief #6, Tokyo: United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability, 2014.
- Kanie, Norichika, Ruben Zondervan and Casey Stevens (eds.), “Ideas on Governance ‘of’ and ‘for’ Sustainable Development Goals,” UNU-IAS/POST2015 Conference Report, Tokyo: United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Studies of Sustainability, 2014.
- Pandyaswargo, A.H., & Abe, N., “The Water-Energy Nexus and Development of Basic Needs of Urban-Life (BNU) Index,” POST2015 Working Paper No.1, Tokyo: Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2014.
- Nakano, M. & Managi, S., “Inequality and the Environment,” POST2015 Working Paper No.2, Tokyo: Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2014.
- Sato, M., Tanaka, K., and Managi, S., “Inclusive wealth, total factor productivity, and sustainability,” POST2015 Working Paper No.1, Tokyo: Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2014.
Papers, Publications, Others
- Kharrazi, Ali, Steven Kraines, Elena Rovenskaya, Ram Avtar, Shuichi Iwata, and Masaru Yarime, “Examining the Ecology of Commodity Trade Networks Using an Ecological Information-Based Approach: Toward Strategic Assessment of Resilience,” Journal of Industrial Ecology, forthcoming. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jiec.12328/abstract
- Kharrazi, Ali, Masahiro Sato, Masaru Yarime, Hirofumi Nakayama, Yadong Yu, and Steven Kraines, “Examining the resilience of national energy systems: Measurements of diversity in production-based and consumption-based electricity in the globalization of trade networks,” Energy Policy, 87, 455-464 (2015). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421515301051
- Hill Clarvis, Margot, Erin Bohensky, and Masaru Yarime, “Can Resilience Thinking Inform Resilience Investments? Learning from Resilience Principles for Disaster Risk Reduction,” Sustainability, 7 (7), 9048-9066 (2015).
- Huang, Wei, Shenghui Cui, Masaru Yarime, Seiji Hashimoto, and Shunsuke Managi, “Improving Urban Metabolism Study for Sustainable Urban Transformation,” Environmental Technology and Innovation, 4, 62-72 (2015).
- Shiroyama, Hideaki, Makiko Matsuo, and Masaru Yarime, “
Issues and Policy Measures for Phosphorus Recycling from Sewage: Lessons from Stakeholder Analysis of Japan,” Global Environmental Research, 19 (1), 67-76 (2015).
- Tumilba, Victor, and Masaru Yarime, “Ecological Network Metrics in Assessing Sustainability of the Philippine Milkfish (Chanos Chanos) Economic Resource System,” Aquaculture, Aquarium, Conservation & Legislation, 8 (3), 253-264 (2015).
- Yarime, Masaru, and Ali Kharrazi, “Understanding the Environment as a Complex Natural-Social System: Challenges and Opportunities for Public Policies,” in Bernardo Alves Furtado, Patrícia A. M. Sakowski, and Marina H. Tóvolli, eds., Modeling Complex Systems for Public Policies, Brasilia: Institute for Applied Economic Research (IPEA), Secretariat of Strategic Affairs of the Presidency of the Republic, Federal Government of Brazil, 127-140 (2015).
- Kanie, Norichika and Casey Stevens, “Sustainability: Call to coordinate actions,” Nature, Vol. 514, 567 (30 October 2014)
- Stafford Smith, M., Rockstrom, J., Gaffney, O., Shyamsundar, P., Kanie, N., Öhman, M.C., Glaser, G., and Griggs, D., Supporting the development of the SDGs: Future Earth Policy Brief #1, Future Earth, Paris, (2014).
- Yarime, Masaru, “Can we build sustainable phosphorus governance?,” Future Earth: Research for Global Sustainability, October 16 (2014).
- Mutisya, Emmanuel, and Masaru Yarime, “Microfinance for the Urban Bottom of the Pyramid Segment in Nairobi’s Kibera Slum in Kenya: Does Financial Training Impact on Sustainable Urban Development?” African Journal of Sustainable Development, forthcoming.
- Sato, Jun, Toshihide Sato, Yuji Nakagawa, Sho Hayashi, Sho Matsumoto, Hideaki Shiroyama, Makiko Matsuo, and Masaru Yarime, “Challenges in the Diffusion of Recycled Phosphorus from Sewage Systems in Japan” (in Japanese), Sociotechnica, 11, 108-118 (2014).
- Mochizuki, Yoko, and Masaru Yarime, “Education for Sustainable Development and Sustainability Science: Re-purposing Higher Education and Research,” in Matthias Barth, Gerd Michelsen, Marco Rieckmann, and Ian Geoffrey Thomas, eds., Routledge Handbook of Higher Education for Sustainable Development, London: Routledge, forthcoming.
- Trencher, Gregory Patrick, Xuemei Bai, James Evans, Kes B McCormick, and Masaru Yarime, “University Partnerships for Co-designing and Co-producing Urban Sustainability,” Global Environmental Change, 28, 153–165 (2014).
- Kanie, Norichika, Naoya Abe, Masahiko Iguchi, Jue Yang, Ngeta Kabiri, Yuto Kitamura, Shunsuke Mangagi, Ikuho Miyazawa, Simon Olsen, Tomohiro Tasaki, Taro Yamamoto, Tetsuro Yoshida and Yuka Hayakawa, “Integration and Diffusion in Sustainable Development Goals: Learning from the Past, Looking into the Future”, Sustainability, 6(4), 1761-1775, 2014.
- Karlsson, Martin, and Masaru Yarime, “Reflexivity in Development Assistance: The Obstacles of Dual Accountability and Communicative Asymmetry in Achieving Reflexive Governance,” International Journal of Sustainability Policy and Practice, forthcoming.
- Yarime, Masaru, “Transforming Japanese Science and Technology to Meet Societal Challenges,” in Frank Baldwin and Anne Allison, eds., Japan: The Precarious Years Ahead, New York: New York University Press, forthcoming.
- Yarime, Masaru, Cynthia Carliell-Marquet, Deborah T. Hellums, Yuliya Kalmykova, Daniel J. Lang, Quang Bao Le, Dianne Malley, Kazuyo Matsubae, Makiko Matsuo, Hisao Ohtake, Alan Omlin, Sebastian Petzet, Roland W. Scholz, Hideaki Shiroyama, Andrea E. Ulrich, and Paul Watts, “Dissipation and Recycling: What Losses, What Dissipation Impacts, and What Recycling Options?” in Roland W. Scholz, Amit H. Roy, Fridolin S.
Brand, Debbie T. Hellums, and Andrea E. Ulrich, eds., Sustainable Phosphorus Management: A Global Transdisciplinary Roadmap, Dordrecht:
Springer, 247-274 (2014).
- Gomes, Catarina, and Masaru Yarime, “Diversity of Human Capital as a Driver for Corporate Responsibility Engagement: The Case of the Luxury Industry,” in Miguel Angel Gardetti and Ana Laura Torres, eds., Sustainable Luxury: Managing Social and Environmental Performance in Iconic Brands, Sheffield, United Kingdom: Greenleaf Publishing, forthcoming.
- N. Kanie, P. M. Haas, S. Andresen, G. Auld, B. Cashore, P. S. Chasek, J. A. Puppim de Oliveira, S. Renckens, O. Schram Stokke, C. Stevens, S. D. VanDeveer and M. Iguchi, “Green Pluralism: Lessons for Improved Environmental Governance in the 21st Century” Environment: Science and Policy for Sustainable Development, Volume 55, Issue 5, 2013, pp.14-30
- Hill Clarvis, Margot, Martin Halle, Ivo Mulder, and Masaru Yarime, “Towards a New Framework to Account for Environmental Risk in Sovereign Credit Risk Analysis,” Journal of Sustainable Finance and Investment, 4 (2), 147-160 (2014).
- Trencher, Gregory, Masaru Yarime, Kes McCormick, Christopher Doll, and Steven Kraines, “Beyond the third mission: Exploring the emerging university function of co-creation for sustainability,” Science and Public Policy, 41 (2), 151-179 (2014).
- Mutisya, Emmanuel, and Masaru Yarime, “Moving towards urban sustainability in Kenya: a framework for integration of environmental, economic, social, and governance dimensions,” Sustainability Science, 9 (2), 205-215 (2014).
- Trencher, Gregory, Masaru Yarime, and Ali Kharrazi, “Co-creating sustainability: cross-sector university collaborations for driving sustainable urban transformations,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 50, 40-55, 2013.
- Kharrazi, Ali, Elena Rovenskaya, Brian D. Fath, Masaru Yarime, and Steven Kraines, “Quantifying the sustainability of economic resource networks: An ecological information-based approach,” Ecological Economics, 90, 177-186, 2013.
- Kudo, Shogo, and Masaru Yarime, “Divergence of the sustaining and marginalizing communities in the process of rural aging: a case study of Yurihonjo-shi, Akita, Japan, “Sustainability Science, 8 (4), 491-513 (2013).
- Kharrazi, Ali, Steven Kraines, Lan Hoang, and Masaru Yarime, “Advancing quantification methods of sustainability: A critical examination of emergy, exergy, ecological footprint, and ecological information-based approaches,” Ecological Indicators, 37, 81-89 (2014).
- Griggs, David, Mark Stafford-Smith, Owen Gaffney, Johan Rockström, Marcus C. Öhman, Priya Shyamsundar, Will Steffen, Gisbert Glaser, Norichika Kanie, and Ian Noble, “Sustainable development goals for people and planet,” Nature, Vol. 495, 305-307 (21 March 2013).
- Tokyo Institute of Technology, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies, United Nations
University Institute of Advanced Studies, “Current Outlook on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): A Brief Analysis of Country Positions,” Tokyo Tech/IGES/UNU-IAS Joint Briefing Paper 1, (January 2013)
- Tokyo Institute of Technology, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies, United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies, “Post MDGs Under Earth System Boundaries (Sustainability Goals: SG) – Toward a Better Definition of the Issues,” Summary Report from Workshop to Define of Post-MDGs Issues under Earth System Boundaries (December 2012) * Japanese Only
- Managi, Shunsuke and IGES (eds.), Economics of green growth, Showadou Publishing, September 2013. * Japanese Only
- POST2015 Project (S-11), “Integrating Sustainable Development Goals into a Post-2015 Development Agenda,” POST 2015 Policy Brief, (March 2012)
- Panelist, JST-ISSC-NRF International Joint Symposium “Transformations to Sustainability”. (UNU U Thant International Conference Hall, Tokyo, Japan: 29 January 2015)
- Chair, session “Future Earth and Sustainability Science: Managing Transdisciplinarity” at 5th International Conference on Sustainability Science. (UNU, Tokyo, Japan: 23 January 2015)
- Presentations at the International Conference on Education for Sustainable Development
■International Conference on Higher Education for Sustainable Development: Higher Education Beyond 2014, organised by UN University (UNU), The Ministry of the Environment-Japan, The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology-Japan, Nagoya University (Toyoda Auditorium of Nagoya University, Aichi, Japan: 9 November 2014)
Higher Education for Sastainable Delopment (HESD)- Sustainability Science and Engagement with Society
Chair: Yuto Kitamura (University of Tokyo)
Masaru Yarime (University of Tokyo)
Alimullah Miyan (RCE Bangladesh / International University of Business Agriculture and Technology)
Michel Ricard (Head of the UNESCO Chair for Sustainable Development)
Science-Policy Interfaces for Sustainability
Chair: Mahesh Pradhan (UNEP)
Yuto Kitamura (University of Tokyo)
Michel Ricard (Head of the UNESCO Chair for Sustainable Development)
John Holmberg (UNESCO Chair in ESD, Chalmers University)
Asma El Kasmi (UNESCO Chair in Water, Women and Decision Power, AI Akhawayn University)
Higher Education for Sustainable Development HESD) and the Post-2015 Agenda
Chair: Norichika Kanie (UNU-IAS / Tokyo Institute of Technology)
Hans van Ginkel (Former UNU Rector)
Eva Egron-Polak (Secretary General, IAU)
Kartikeya V. Sarabhai (Former Director, Centre for Environment Education)
Stephen Sterling (Plymouth University)
■UNESCO World Conference on Eduaction for Sustainable Development
Side Event “Beoynd GDP - What is Inclusive Wealth Index (IWI)?,” organised by Ministry of the Environment of Japan (Nagoya Congress Center, Aichi, Japan: 10 November 2014)
Speaker: Shunsuke Managi (Tohoku University)
- Presentation at the 30th OECC Seminar ‘From MDGs to SDGs,’ organised by Overseas Environmental Cooperation Center (Kanda Essam Hall, Japan: 17 October 2014)
Norichika Kanie “From MDGs to SDGs: A New Approach towards Governance for Sustainable Development”
- Presentations at the Parallel Session ‘Implementing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Asia:
Toward a Common Language for Governance,’ The Sixth International Forum for Sustainable Asia and the Pacific (ISAP2014), organised by IGES & UNU-IAS (Pacifico Yokohama, Japan: 24 July 2014)
Norichika Kanie “Governance and SDGs”
Simon Hoiberg Olsen “Implementing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Asia: Toward a Common Language for Governance”
- Presentations at the Norwich Conference on Earth System Governance (University of East Anglia, UK: 30 June – 3 July 2014)
Norichika Kanie, Yui Nakagawa, “How Nuclear Risks Should Be Governed: Criteria for Resilient Society against Disasters.”
Masahiko Iguchi, “Regulatory Convergence of Environmental Policy: Case of Fuel Economy Standards for Passenger Cars in Europe, Japan and the US.”
Masahiko Iguchi, “Governing Sustainable Development Goals: Lessons from Millennium Developing Goals.”
- Participated in the Roundtable Discussion with Permanent Representatives to the UN “Post 2015 Development Agenda: Towards an Effective Framework,” organised by Ministry of Foreign Affaires of Japan (The University of Tokyo, Japan: 27 May 2014: Norichika Kanie)
- Presentation at Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2014, ‘Future Earth – The Integrated Research for Sustainable Earth,’ organised by Japan Geoscience Union (Pacifico Yokohama, 1 May 2014)
Norichika Kanie “Future Earth and Sustainable Development Goals”
- Presentation at the Green Economic Forum Lecture Series “Post 2015 Framework, Agenda for the SDGs and Update of SDG debate,” organised by the Green Economy Forum (Bellesalle Kanda, Japan: 19 March 2014)
Norichika Kanie “Post-2015 Development Goals and Sustainable Development Goals”
- Presentation at the Ministry of the Environment/UNU-IAS Open Symposium ‘Development of sustainable community with enhanced partnership -International community and Japan from a viewpoint of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs),’ organised by Ministry of the Environment & UNU-IAS (UNU, Japan: 19 February 2014)
Keynote: Norichika Kanie “Post-2015 Development Agenda, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Expectation for Regional Partnership”
Panel Discussion: Hideyuki Mori “Multi-level Governance for implementing SDGs “
- Presentation at the Green Economic Forum Seminar ‘Current Trend and Challenges of Post-2015 Development Agenda and Sustainable Development Goals,’ organised by Green Economic Forum (Bellesalle Kudan, Japan: 16 December 2013)
Tetsuro Yoshida “Current Trend of Post-2015 Agenda and SDGs and Possibility of Utilisation”
- Presentation at the DAC Development Debate (DDD), organised by OECD DAC (Paris, France: 11 December 2013)
Norichika Kanie “Sustainable Development Goals for People and Planet”
- Presentation at the Green Economic Forum Seminar ‘Current Trend and Challenges of Post-2015 Development Agenda and Sustainable Development Goals,’ organised by Green Economic Forum (Bellesalle Kudan, Japan: 22 October 2013) * Japanese Only
Norichika Kanie “Current Trend of Research on Sustainable Development Goals and Governance”
- Special Session at 18th Annual Meeting of the Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, organised by the Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies (Kobe University, Japan: 22 September 2013) ‘Considering and Proposing Integrated Sustainable Development Goals’
Chair: Norichika Kanie (Tokyo Institute of Technology: TokyoTech)(1) Measurement of Integrated Sustainable Indicator: Inclusive Wealth Index Interpolating Global Environmental Data
○Jue Yang (Tohoku University), Masayuki Sato (Kobe University), Shunsuke Managi (Tohoku University)
(2) Sustainable Development Goals in Post-2015 Development Agenda
○Norichika Kanie (TokyoTech), Naoya Abe (TokyoTech), Ikuho Miyazawa (TokyoTech, IGES)
(3) Multi-level Governance for Effective Implementation of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
○Hideyuki Mori (IGES), Tetsuro Yoshida (IGES), Ikuho Miyazawa(IGES), Noriko Shimizu (IGES), Yohei Chiba (IGES) *Japanese Only
- Special Session at the 3rd Annual Conference of Japan Association for Human security Studies, organised by Japan Association for Human security Studies (Keio University, Japan: 22 September 2013)
‘#11 Sustainable Development and Human Security’
Chair: Norichika Kanie (TokyoTech)
‘Reconciling human security and sustainability – Can Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) be a driver?’
Norichika Kanie, Tokyo Institute of Technology and others
Human security and sustainable development
Kiyotaka Akasaka, The Foreign Press Center/Japan, Former Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations
‘New Visionary Concept for Post-2015 Development Agenda:
beyond Environmental Sustainability and Human Security nexus’
Ikuho Miyazawa (IGES)
- Presentations at the Study Session on SDGs ‘Sustainable Development Goals and Role of Education’, organised by Environmental Partnership Council (GEOC, Japan: 9 August 2013)
Ikuho Miyazawa, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies
‘Challenges and Vision for International Discussion on SDGs’
Masahisa Sato, Tokyo City University
‘Role of Education on post-2015 International Development Agenda – Towards a Synergy of EFA (Education for All) and ESD (Education for Sustainable Development)-‘
- Special side event held at 4th Open Working Group (OWG) was mentioned in the OWG interim report. (p.12 Chapter IV 103.)
- Presentations at Academic Forum ‘Future Earth: Towards Sustainable Future Society,’ organised by Science Council of Japan (Science Council of Japan, Japan: 18 June 2013)
Norichika Kanie, Tokyo Institute of Technology
‘Aspects from Politics and Environmental Governance’
Hideyuki Mori, Institute for Global Environmental Strategy
‘Aspects from a Strategy for Future Earth in the Asia Pacific’
<Reference> Science Council of Japan, ‘Future Earth: Towards Sustainable Future Society’ * Japanese Only
- Presentation at the JASID 14th Spring Conference, organised by Japan Society for International Development (Utsunomiya University, Japan: 8 June 2013)
Norichika Kanie and Ikuho Miyazawa,‘Concepts of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Post-2015 Development Agenda’
Abstract / PPT * Japanese Only
- Participation in Expert Group Meeting on Science and Sustainable Development Goals, organized by UNDESA, ICSU and ISSC (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: March 2013: Norichika Kanie).
- Host the Earth System Governance Tokyo Conference (UNU, Japan: 28-31 January 2013: about 200 participants).
- Interview on Sustainable Development Goals in Yomiuri Shimbun, ‘New UN Development Goals and Challenges for Formulation in 2015’ 29 July 2014 (Morning) * Japanese Only
- Interviewed on “Towards Integrated Goals of Development and Environment -SDGs in Post-2015 Development Agenda-,” in UN Forum (7 October 2013: Norichika Kanie) * Japanese Only
- Featured article for Norichika Kanie in Yomiuri Shimbun, ‘Transmission of “Future Earth” Crisis’ 8 August. 2013 (Evening) * Japanese Only
- Recent research: ‘Sustainable Development Goals: “Must haves” for integrating planetary well-being and human well-being, ‘Tokyo Institute of Technology Bulletin, No.31, August 2013